[mythtv-users] Mythbackend recording glitches

Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) jharbestonus at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:13:26 UTC 2018

> On Oct 15, 2018, at 11:50 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I changed the name of my thread because the video card update problems are gone (thanks to the help from all of you) and I am only left with glitches in the recordings. I have done a lot of experimentation to try and isolate the problem but am at a loss as to what is going on.
>
> Here is an example of a bad glitch http://l-36.com/mythtv.jpg <http://l-36.com/mythtv.jpg>
> Here is an example of a small one blown up to show it http://l-36.com/mythtv4.jpg <http://l-36.com/mythtv4.jpg>

You can use the hdhomerun_config and hdhomerun_config_gui utilities to see the status of the stream using the following example:

You will want to use the gui to set the channel to be verified and then do the following:
hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 capture.ts

This will capture the video to the file capture.ts, and also echo information while recording.
Quoting from the hdhomerun development pdf document:
Example output:

............n...............................n..........ts..........
-- Video statistics --
23323 packets recieved, 2 network errors, 1 transport errors, 1 sequence errors
Advanced: A filename of “null” indicates no file should be created, allowing the use of the save
command as a diagnostic tool.

Advanced: “-” may be used as a filename to indicate standard output, allowing the save
command to be used as a pipe on supported platforms.

eg:     hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 - | vlc -

The dev document can be downloaded from SiliconDust, and has much more information that can be had using the utility.

Something you can also check using the hdhomerun_config_gui is the signal strength and quality live.

I have found these tools very handy.