[mythtv-users] Video card update fail

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 17:07:00 UTC 2018

UPDATE and work around for sound.

*Audio.*  I have a solution.  I switched to HDMI for the TV and ran an
optical cable from the TV to the HiFI and can now play either without
reconfiguring Myth. I tried many things before resorting to this including
disabling pulseaudio, all combinations of mixer settings everything I could
think of but this is an acceptable solution at this point.  I cannot use my
projector with Myth so will have to be content to use only the TV. If I
have to reconfigure Myth for the Academy Awards, I can do that.  Not ideal,
but OK for now.

Before resorting to this work around, I found that I could get analog
output or SPDIF output but not at the same time so I know the MB audio
worked.  The analog output setting for myth was an nvidia output so that
was strange as none of the alsa settings would give analog. Also, there was
no combination of settings in alsamixer that would get analog output when
playing a Youtube video.  So like the item below, this does not seem like a
Myth problem but rather something to do with the Nvidia driver installed
when I put in the 750ti card.

*Video. * This morning we recorded GMA on the second HDHomeRun (tuner 3)
and it also had artifacts just like tuner 1.  That pretty much eliminates
the tuners as a problem because I refuse to believe that both started
having trouble at the same time.  I have already verified that both
channels 7 (which is channel 7 OTA) and 9 (which is channel 30 OTA). I feel
it is unlikely that both VHF and UHF would have similar reception problems.
It is much easier to receive channel 30 where I am.  Next test is to watch
live TV and record at the same time.  No indication in the mythbackend log
of any problems recording.

The frustrating thing is that there was a bug report found in Googling with
exactly the problem I am having that the poster said was caused by an
update of Linux. He had two identical computers setup with myth, one with
the new OS and one with the older one and only the newer one gave problems
but since they had the same version of Myth, not a myth problem close
ticket no solution listed.

Allen