[mythtv-users] lirc: Please file bugs (was: Remote control issue after Ubuntu upgrade)

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 23:59:24 UTC 2018

Dear list,

As upstream lirc maintainer I noted the discussion about the
dysfunctional lirc-setup and other lirc problems.

Please file bugs about such issues, either at upstream [1] or the
relevant distro channels (I listen to Fedora and Debian). Without bugs,
we will never be able to make the proper fixes.

----

The dirty fixes on Debian for lirc-setup:

    # libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/python3.6/site-packages
    # cp /usr/share/lirc/python-pkg/config.py $libdir/lirc
    # ln -s $libdir/lirc /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/
    # ln -s $libdir/lirc-setup /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/

Disable most services:

    # systemctl stop \
         lircd-uinput.service lircmd.service irexec.service
    # systemctl disable \
         lircd-uinput.service lircmd.service irexec.service

As for /dev/lircd the easy fix is IMHO to configure mythtv to use the
proper device /var/run/lirc/lircd. One could also configure the lircd
output socket in lirc_options.conf. Symlinking should not be required.

Note that the pkg-config .pc files are part of the -dev package.

I have just created updates in Debian which eventually will handle the
lirc-setup problem as well as making most services disabled until
explicitly enabled. The Debian/Ubuntu echosystem doesn't move fast, so
it will take time before the updates trickles down. But eventually, they
will.

Fedora updates for F28/F29 should be out in a week or so.

Cheers!

--alec

[1] https://sourceforge.net/p/lirc/tickets/