[mythtv-users] quite remote

Michael A Weber mweberjunk01 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:41:20 UTC 2018

> On Oct 8, 2018, at 7:02 AM, Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I appreciate all the replies, its not an often case scenario, but I think I will look into plex due to the flexibility and spontaneity.
>
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2018 at 2:17 PM Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk <mailto:linux at thehobsons.co.uk>> wrote:
> Ian Cameron <mkbloke at gmail.com <mailto:mkbloke at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > In the simplest terms, it would be a case of making the back end and database available over the Internet.  In most domestic settings that would mean enabling port forwarding on your broadband router to forward the relevant ports to the internal private IP(s) of your database/back end machine(s).
>
> I experimented a while ago using SSH tunnelling, adding more and more ports as I found them. However, I also found that it needed UDP which SSH doesn't forward - and I didn't have the time or inclination to go any further. Definitely more than just the database access needed. That was with 0.24.1 - no idea if it's changed since.
>
> An alternative would be to download the recording files (click on the download link next to the program in MythWeb), or transcode and download a transcoded file - according to what your player works best with. Then just take the files with you and watch them with whatever works for you.

I like your approach, but probably because this is what I did.  ;)

Seeing as I had never touched Plex before, it took me a few hours to get going properly, mostly because I use QoS on my network and these types of packets were not setup to get any bandwidth.  Once I got that squared away, it was smooth sailing.

Good luck!

Mike