[mythtv-users] MythTV Light installation

Mike Holden mikeholden99+mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 09:38:40 UTC 2018

On Thu, 4 Oct 2018 at 03:51, Jay Harbeston (ISeePeople) <
jharbestonus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 3, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 10:29 AM Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>

>> 3) Buy one of those mini keyboard remotes that can be used with Android.
>> You'd have a full keyboard.  Most of them work with a radio signal and you
>> don't have to use line of sight like with an IR remote.  Some tilt (they
>> have some kind of gyroscope) and they have really awkward mouse control.
>> Some of them have a touchpad, like a laptop, and you can move the pointer
>> with that.  They're cheap, probably less than $25
>>
> I bought this one: http://a.co/d/2lJGK6R and it's not available but there
> are several others (This one is Amazon's Choice: http://a.co/d/4SHvnFH
> and as you can see, it's less than $15).
>
> If you go this route, I'd look around for the one you want as you're the
> one who is going to have to use it.  Some have touch pads and some don't.
> You can find these remotes all over the internet.
>
> It's just $15 bucks and you can use it in just about any USB device.  It
> emulates a keyboard.  You can program a few IR commands too like your TV
> Power.  Mine learns commands from another remote control but only for a few
> buttons.  It works pretty much out of the box; there is almost no
> configuration needed.
>

> I too have one of the remotes you link to above with the ‘gyro mouse’ I
> rarely use that function with mythtv as all the other buttons on the
> arrow/media control side function fine for most mythtv functionality.  I
> did do an xmodmap to map some of the media control side buttons to mythtv
> functions. Here is the contents of my xmodmap that I used:

I would be interested in any info anyone has for mapping the colour buttons
(red, blue, green, yellow), as these don't seem to send any code that Linux
can see. xev doesn't see anything, and also the "Keyboard Shortcuts"
configurator doesn't see anything when these keys are pressed.

This is the model I bought:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-Wireless-Remote-Control-Keyboard-Air-Mouse-2-4G-For-Android-TV-Box-AU-PC/163143015723?hash=item25fc14dd2b

Also, MythTV sees nothing in the Key Setup page.

This is on Fedora 27, but any guide for any Linux would be a good starting
point.

I've tried Googling, but hits are primarily related to remotely controlling
your Linux, rather than controlling your Linux WITH a remote :-(

The remote I bought has a TV remote on one side, and a keyboard on the
other. The keyboard works for typing letters for MythTV functions (like D =
Delete etc.), but the keys are fiddly to find, and I would like to set up
the Red button to Delete, Blue to Skip etc.