[mythtv-users] improving mythtv-frontend experience on RP3 B+

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 8 02:22:10 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 23:31:53 +0000, you wrote:

>On 8 October 2018 9:53:47 am James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>I’d like to help improve the performance of Mythfrontend on Raspbian on Raspberry PI 3 B+.
>
>I’m no developer, but I could test things if needed.
>
>Here’s what I know If you load the latest Raspbian (2018-6-27) and change the GPU memory to 256MB or 320MB and put the CPU into performance mode the system performs fantastically using Kodi 17.6 to playback mythtv recordings or play Live TV from a remote backend.
>
>However, on Mythtv frontend, I’m using OpenMAX High Quality and Normal with OpenMAX hdmi audio. The video playback is sort of okay, but nowhere near as good as Kodi on the same hardware and OS.
>
>If I could stand the Kodi interface I’d just use it, but Mythtv Frontend is a much better interface for managing a remote backend and displaying the liveTV and recorded TV.
>
>With Kodi working so good, I think there is just a tweak that will fix the Myth FE.

>If I recall correctly there has been quite some discussion of this in the past so might be worth browsing some of the list archives. I believe the necessary changes - while quite possible as demonstrated by Kodi performance - would require a very substantial rewrite of some of the mythtv code and it wasn't something any of the current developers were working on at this time.
>
>Someone with a better memory might chip in.

The devs are working on the video code in v30 at the moment, but for
use on Android and most specifically for the Nvidia shield, which they
have working now.  But I did see a post that they are also working on
updates for VAAPI2 so the modern Intel video should also work well
when that is done.  So if there are other changes that are needed in
the video code for Raspberry PIs, then now is probably a good time to
be asking for them.