[mythtv-users] quite remote

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 16:39:34 UTC 2018

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 at 16:53, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 10:44:17 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately, using a remote frontend from a different location without
> sufficient bandwidth is not going to work.  Our recordings are big files
> and streaming them over typical internet connections outside the home is
> impossible.
>
> Yes, you would need a connection that was fibre all the way.  Here in
> New Zealand, it is possible to get that, but putting all the data
> through an OpenVPN connection would likely slow it down too much, and
> allowing open access to your MythTV services from the Internet is a
> really bad idea.  I do have OpenVPN set up like that so I can run
> mythfrontend remotely, but only for setting up recordings and the
> like, not for playing a recording.

Fair points about available bandwidth.  I only record at about 1200
kbits/s, mostly to keep file sizes down, so I can easily download and watch
recordings on the laptop.  I have tested the ASX streaming via MythWeb over
OpenVPN with that video rate and it works OK on an 8-10 Mbit/s 4G data
connection.

If watching remotely on a laptop with videos that are not too large for the
pipe, you could reduce overhead by not using a VPN and instead expose
MythWeb to the Internet (after suitably securing it via htacess) and then
ASX stream into VLC.

Otherwise, yeah, dynamic transcoding from a media server like Plex is
probably the way to go.

Ian