[mythtv-users] MythTV Light installation

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 20:35:25 UTC 2018

On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:25 PM Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 3:16 PM Jerry <mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 6, 2018 at 2:48 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So I now have my RP3+ and I used Etcher to install the RP Stretcher from
>>> 2017-11-29.  However when I turn on the RP3+, I just get the multicolor
>>> screen and the board has a blinking Green LED in some pattern.
>>>
>>> Did I miss a step?  I just downloaded the .zip file for Stretcher,
>>> Flashed the microSD with Etcher, and plugged it in.
>>>

>> That sounds like a kernel problem.  I know that the 3B+ needs a newer
>> kernel.  I don't think that was reflected in Raspbian until at least the
>> RPi 3B+ release date of 3/14/18.
>>
>> There may be a way for you to only upgrade the kernel by chrooting into
>> that distribution from another Raspberry Pi, perhaps by installing current
>> Raspbian on another card and mounting the target 11/29/17 Raspbian card
>> with a USB reader.
>>
>> It's a pain but I bet that will work.  I've done similar things with
>> other single board computers.  The end will be 11/29/17 with an upgraded
>> kernel.  Which version to pick is another story.  Perhaps the latest one,
>> perhaps not.  You could try the oldest kernel made after 3/14/18 I suppose.
>>
>> You might have to grab the actual .deb file and upgrade it manually with
>> dpkg -i.  I'm not very familiar with Debian-based distributions.  Perhaps
>> there is a limited upgrade apt command that will do it.
>>
>> Good luck.  If you get stuck I can do it in parallel here.  I have spare
>> microSD cards and a RPi3B+.
>>

> If you have a Pi2 or maybe even a Pi1, you could just boot from your
> 11/29/17 image in that machine and upgrade the kernel that way.  No chroot
> needed.  Should work just fine.

I built a system for a frien on Pi2 and upward (including the Pi3b+), and
they all boot with the PRi2 image using a kernel that is 2 years old.

I think what might be going on with MythTV hiccup'ing is that the aarch64
architecture that the Pi3+ is capable is just recently being adopted
everywhere.  I woiuld imagine that may be the difference between versions
(not sure - I ship Arch rather than Raspbian on them).  Arch offers the
aarch64 version, but it is still missing a lot of functionality and DTS
capabilities.

Of course, I may be way off - I did not even go look at the stretch
downloads - just throwing it out there.  There is definitely not a brand
new kernel needed though - they still run just fine with the old 32 bit
kernal and userland as well.  The 64 bit kernels are definitely not prime
time though (aarch64 vs armv7h).