[mythtv-users] Blasting to STB,using a MCEUSB

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 6 12:44:03 UTC 2018

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 11:10:31 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi Stephen,
>

>Thank you so much for all of your help with this, here is the output from those commands:
>
>dave at nuc1:~$ cat /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
># Populated config files can be found at http://sf.net/p/lirc-remotes. <http://sf.net/p/lirc-remotes.> The
># irdb-get(1) and lirc-setup(1) tools can be used to search and download
># config files.
>#
># From 0.9.2 config files could just be dropped as-is in the lircd.conf.d
># directory and be included by this file.
>
>include "lircd.conf.d/*.conf"
>dave at nuc1:~$ cat /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf
># These are the default options to lircd, if installed as
># /etc/lirc/lirc_options.conf. See the lircd(8) and lircmd(8)
># manpages for info on the different options.
>#
># Some tools including mode2 and irw uses values such as
># driver, device, plugindir and loglevel as fallback values
># in not defined elsewhere.
>
>[lircd]
>nodaemon        = False
>driver          = devinput
>device          = auto
>output          = /var/run/lirc/lircd
>pidfile         = /var/run/lirc/lircd.pid
>plugindir       = /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/lirc/plugins
>permission      = 666
>allow-simulate  = No
>#repeat-max      = 600
>repeat-max      = 1200
>effective-user = dave

This one is possibly the problem.  You are running lirc as user
"dave".  In theory, that should work as long as mythfrontend (or
"ircat mythtv") is also running as user "dave", but there may be
permissions problems resulting from this.  I would suggest commenting
this out and trying it running as root.  As far as I know, this is a
new option and older versions of lircd (as in 16.04) were always run
as root.