[mythtv-users] Rpmfusion on Fedora 29 Beta -- so far so good

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Oct 3 18:00:51 UTC 2018

I just wanted to give a heads-up in case anyone was thinking about
upgrading to Fedora 29 Beta.  For some reason, I get itchy when there is a
new release and I like to get the upgrade over with.

I ran into two issues.  I would consider one to be current.

1) The initial mythtv-29-22 rpms had an issue with mytharchive.  There were
references to "Requires" mkisofs and cdrecord.  One might have issue when
doing a dnf system-upgrade.  I changed these in the spec file to
genisoimage and wodim, rebuilt the rpms and the dependency issues were
fixed.

Rpmfusion has since released mythtv-29-23 rpms and they are in the testing
repository.  I'd say just reinstall the mythtv, mytharchive and
mythtv-plugins rpms if they have issues when upgrading.  I may have
misspelled their names.  They installed fine.

2) I had some references to innodb in my /etc/my.cnf.d configuration file.
mariadb 10.3 would not start.  I commented those out and things seem okay.

I'll report back if I run into any more issues.  I've had good luck with
other services so far.  I had an issue with Kodi and LIRC and I posted my
fix on the RPMFusion bug tracker (had to add lirc-devel as a "Requires" in
the spec file).  I haven't experienced anything as problematic as the GCC
upgrade to 8.x that occurred with F28.  After the mysql tweak, Mythbackend
started back up and I've had several successful recordings.  FWIW, I have a
HDHomerun Prime and a nVidia 760 GTX and I'm running XFCE.

Good luck if you try it.  As they say, take a backup because if you break
it, you bought it.