[mythtv-users] MythTV Light installation

Jerry mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Oct 3 14:29:49 UTC 2018

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:08 AM Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since one of my FEs has died, I thought I'd go down the path of RP3 with
> MythTV Light.
>
>  From what I've read, the steps are:
>
> 1. get a RP3+ with case, PS, and a 32GB microSD card.
>
> 2. install Raspbian Stretch 2017-11-29 onto the SD card and boot it.
>
> 3. add the repository for MythTV light and update and install. (no apt
> upgrade)
>
> 4. Configure.
>
> Anything I'm missing?

Make sure you're getting the Pi 3B+.  Sometimes vendors will try to sell
you the 3B (a tad slower than the B+).

You might want to use an IR remote.  The Pi 3B+ doesn't have an IR sensor.
You have a few options:

1) You could get an MCE (Microsoft Meda Remote) with a USB receiver and try
to mess with LIRC (the hard way).  This will take a little doing.  Maybe
$25?  Not sure.

2) You could buy a FLIRC and program it very easily with your computer
(Mac/Windows/Linux), plug it in and use just about any existing remote
control you already own.  About $25 I think

3) Buy one of those mini keyboard remotes that can be used with Android.
You'd have a full keyboard.  Most of them work with a radio signal and you
don't have to use line of sight like with an IR remote.  Some tilt (they
have some kind of gyroscope) and they have really awkward mouse control.
Some of them have a touchpad, like a laptop, and you can move the pointer
with that.  They're cheap, probably less than $25

4) Just use a keyboard.