[mythtv-users] Udev

John jksjdevelop at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 12:33:45 UTC 2018

On 27/11/2018 11:35, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> Due to recent hardware problems I've ordered a new motherboard, and
> because it has more PCI slots I've ordered more tuners. Since I now
> have only one source for recording Udev rules wont be necessary
> because it wont matter which tuner is asked to record, or will it?
>
> I may just create them anyway, but it wont be without challenge,
> because one card is the same model as an existing card.    Daryl

I have never got a dual card working reliably. They tend to fail about
once a week on boot. (multiple single tuner cards have been completely
reliable). A reboot always fixes the problem and the cards are then 100%
reliable until power on.

I have been using the "Example for twin tuner cards with no difference
in udevadm info output" from the wiki

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

but having re-read it (maybe its been updated) I think my problem is the
race condition as described in "More complicated setup with multi-tuner
cards having no difference in udevadm info output coexisting with other
cards based on the same A/V decoder" . The issue being that it is
possible to receive adapterX with frontend from adapterY. The symptom
being the tuner gets the signal ok but with only a partial lock because
it cant find the channel its looking for in the stream.

So I am currently testing a dual PCI and a dual USB card together
without using udev. Its been a week with no issues but I know this is
perhaps only luck.

Trying to get my head round the solution proposed in "More complicated
setup with multi-tuner cards having no difference in udevadm info output
coexisting with other cards based on the same A/V decoder" but having
difficulty understanding it.

The bottom line is - if you get partial tuner locks on a dual card with
errors like this /dev/dvb/adapter2/frontend0): Wrong PMT; pmt->pn(6033)
desired(6031) the solution possibly lies at the end of the wiki.