[mythtv-users] hdhrstreamhandler.cpp problem in build of Master for el7 - but not for F28

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sun Nov 18 19:43:41 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 18, 2018 at 06:50:24PM +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> I think the good news is that RHEL8 is getting closer to release
> (beta now available), so RSN some of the pain and suffering
> of trying to support really old versions of libraries can disappear
> from the project devs themselves (at least until RHEL8 moves
> to its mid-life crisis), leaving those individuals wanting to support
> EL7 in their own lifeboat next to the EL6 lifeboat.

I abhor using EL/CentOS systems mainly for this reason.  We use CentOS
7, and even 6 still, at work because "it's the standard".  We have
locally built version of half the system in /usr/local becasue what's
in /usr is so old.  Why can't they implement a reasonable backports
mechanism?

The server that I maintain by myself at work runs Debian Stable.
Among the base, system packages, backports packages and the ability to
easily pull individual packages from testing/unstable, I almost never
have to build anything myself to get a reasonably current version.

Sorry for the rant but this is one of my pet peeves.  If a MythTV user
wants to run an LTS version, that's fine.  They should just expect to
have to use the version of MythTV that was current at that time and
not the unreleased, development version from 3 years later.  I'm in
the minority, though, so I tend to keep quiet about it.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net