[mythtv-users] New backend install on Ubuntu 18.04

Tom Harris thom.j.harris at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 02:13:01 UTC 2018

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:23 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 22:54:32 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >I’m setting up an Ubuntu 18.04 VM to replace my backend running on an
> >Ubuntu 14.04 box.  I added the 0.29 ppt (sudo add-apt-repository
> >ppa:mythbuntu/0.29), but apt installs reset in “unmet dependencies”.
> >
> >The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > mythtv : Depends: mythtv-database but it is not going to be installed
> >          Depends: mythtv-frontend but it is not going to be installed
> >          Depends: mythtv-backend but it is not going to be installed
> >

> >Is something else needed to install a new backend?
>
> That is weird.  Is MySQL or MariaDB installed?  One or other is
> required for MythTV and might cause that, but usually MySQL is
> installed by default.  Exactly what version of Ubuntu are you
> installing?  Is it a server version?  I would recommend Xubuntu
> 18.04.1 as the best version for a normal MythTV box, but it depends on
> what other things you want to use it for, and having it in a VM sounds
> like you just want to run a backend only system.

I didn't install MySQL or MariaDB.  I thought they would be automatically
installed as mythtv-backend dependencies.
Yes, my intent is to have a minimal backend only system.  I started with
Ubuntu Server 18.04.1, with no desktop components.

If Xubuntu is a better starting point, I'll re-install with that and try
again.

And before you install MythTV, I would recommend uninstalling MySQL
> and installing MariaDB instead.  Doing that after MythTV is installed
> is a pain, and MySQL's command line is now a pain as it no longer uses
> the readline library and consequently does not do command history
> properly.

Thanks, that's good to know that MariaDB works well.  I would definitely
prefer the 'free' option.

Also, did you run "apt update" after adding the PPA?

Yes, OS packages were all up to date, and I did apt update after adding the
PPA.