[mythtv-users] Frontend Recommendation

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Mon Nov 12 03:12:19 UTC 2018

Hi,

A few months ago, my D525 ION-based front-end died after nearly a decade of service. I attempted to replace it with a RPi3 B+, but it’s a significant step down (poor picture quality, issues with video/audio sync, etc). I’ve also been using Kodi on a Fire stick, but I strongly dislike the interface.

I’m wondering if there are options in the $300 range that folks have had good luck with. It looks like the low-end world has moved on from VDPAU. Can the current generation of mini pc’s with i3-7100U processors and Intel HD 620 graphics display 1080 (OTA) video with the same level of quality as VDPAU? My understanding is that Myth doesn’t support VAAPI for de-interlacing, so that would need to be done in CPU. Would something like either of the following provide me with solid playback:

https://www.amazon.com/UN65U-M023M-VivoMini-Barebones-i3-7100U-integrated/dp/B06WV7NB95

https://www.amazon.com/Fanless-Desktop-Computer-Partaker-Barebone/dp/B07FT9W2YX

Thanks,
Joe