[mythtv-users] anacron time change after upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:59:48 UTC 2018

On 11/9/18 1:52 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Your override file does not seem to be correct.  It looks like you are
>>> getting the 07:30 time, but also the original "hourly" setting is
>>> still in place.  Please take a look at your
>>> /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer.d/override.conf file and compare it
>>> to mine:
>>>
>>> [Unit]
>>> Description=Trigger anacron at 07:30, as happened before the Ubuntu
>>> 18.04 upgrade.
>>>
>>> [Timer]
>>> OnCalendar=
>>> OnCalendar=07:30
>>> RandomizedDelaySec=0s
>>> Persistent=true
>>>
>>> Note the first "OnCalendar=" line.  That is what overrides the
>>> original OnCalendar settings and disables them, and I think it must be
>>> damaged or missing.  Without that, the second "OnCalendar=07:30" line
>>> will just add another timer at 07:30 and leave the hourly timer also
>>> running.
>> I put my file is pastebin:
>>
>> https://pastebin.com/wzw7Q9nK
>>
>> Looks okay to me.
> Yes, it does look OK.  So I am rather at a loss as to why it is not
> working, unless there is more than one override file.  Please check
> the /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer.d directory and see if there is
> more than one *.conf file there.  I am not expecting that there will
> be another file, but that is about all I can think of that would cause
> this.
>
> Clearly, your override file is working at least somewhat - it is
> creating an 07:30 trigger for anacron.timer.  But it does not seem to
> be overriding the "OnCalendar=hourly" line from
> /lib/systemd/system/anacron.timer.
>
> What does this command show now:
>
> sudo systemctl cat anacron.timer
>
> It should show exactly the same as mine (except for a different file
> name for your override file):
>
> # /lib/systemd/system/anacron.timer
> [Unit]
> Description=Trigger anacron every hour
>
> [Timer]
> OnCalendar=hourly
> RandomizedDelaySec=5m
> Persistent=true
>
> [Install]
> WantedBy=timers.target
>
> # /etc/systemd/system/anacron.timer.d/anacron-timer-override.conf
> [Unit]
> Description=Trigger anacron at 07:30, as happened before the Ubuntu
> 18.04 upgrade.
>
> [Timer]
> OnCalendar=
> OnCalendar=07:30
> RandomizedDelaySec=0s
> Persistent=true
>
> And please check that the "OnCalendar=" line in the override file does
> not have any spaces or tabs after the = character.  If there is any
> whitespace, it may be causing this problem.  But I can not see any in
> the pastebin copy.
jim at mythbuntu:~$ sudo systemctl cat anacron.timer
# Warning: anacron.timer changed on disk, the version systemd has loaded
is outdated.
# This output shows the current version of the unit's original fragment
and drop-in files.
# If fragments or drop-ins were added or removed, they are not properly
reflected in this output.
# Run 'systemctl daemon-reload' to reload units.