[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power supply (wall wart) gone bad

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Thu Nov 8 14:31:04 UTC 2018

For those that run into this....  My HD-PVR stopped working, but the
front blue power light was on.  Power cycled the HD-PVR box and the blue
light comes on right away, but nothing else.

Changed the USB cable, rebooted, checked device in backend settings and
has "failed to open" error, tried it on a win-7 computer, nothing
helped; I thought the capture box was shot.  I just happened to have a
spare capture box, so tried it, got the same result...but I was using
the same wall wart from the original HD-PVR.

On a whim, I swapped out the wall wart and it worked.  I noticed that
the power up sequence was different; plug in power > blue power light
comes on > no change for two seconds > yellow light comes on > top cover
light blinks > three seconds later, yellow light turns off > capture box
is ready.

I bought a replacement wall wart from Hauppauge here:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/webstore2/webstore_hdpvr_power-supply.html

NOTE: The HD-PVR wall wart is SPECIAL, if you plug in the wrong wall
wart, it damages the capture box; Ebay is polluted with blown-up
HD-PVR's from gamers that didn't pay attention to the warning on the
capture box (USE ONLY THE POWER SUPPLY PROVIDED!).

Don

---