[mythtv-users] Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS do-release-upgrade with Mythtv

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 20:48:14 UTC 2018

> On Oct 7, 2018, at 11:37 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 08:02:02 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> Has anybody who has a working Ubuntu 16.04.5 system with mythtv backend
>> V29 been brave enough to run do-release-upgrade and see what happens?
>>
>> And No I'm not that brave.
>>
>> Jim A

After getting 18.04 working on my test system with Mythtv v29 I did the upgrade in place on my production system.

Most things are working. My RAID 1 with all my shows come over okay. My frontends can watch live and recorded shows.

We’ll see tonight if the scheduled shows get recorded.

The only thing I see issues with is mythweb.  If I try to go to 192168.0.250 using Chrome, I get Connection refused. On my clean install of 18.04 and mythtv, mythweb worked fine.

> 4) The x11vnc VNC server seems to be broken in the new 18.04 version.
> It crashes whenever I try to use the menu on the MythTV box over a VNC
> connection.  I am still working my way through this problem - I may
> have to use a different VNC server.  The recommendation I found on the
> web to switch my display manager to lightdm did not work - I was
> already using lightdm as that is the default in Mythbuntu (and Xubuntu
> I think).

Not user about the VNC server, but all I do and tested was ssh -Y jim at mythbuntu and then I can run mythtv-setup or the frontend.

> 7) SAMBA/CIFS has been updated to a newer version, which will no
> longer connect to older (now insecure) versions of the SMB protocol
> unless you add options to override the SMB protocol version.  I am
> still running an older version of SAMBA on my OS/2 server box, so I
> had to add the option ",vers=1.0" to all my mount points in fstab for
> that box.

I remotes can still get to the CIFS files okay for now.

> 8) PHP has been updated to version 7.2.  On one of my boxes (I forget
> which), PHP 7.0 had not been disabled, and that made mythweb and
> mythexport not work.  I had to manually disable PHP 7.0:
>
> sudo a2dismod php7.0
>
> Then I had to do these commands as per several other threads here:
>
> sudo cp -a /etc/php/7.0/apache2/conf.d/20-mythweb.ini
> /etc/php/7.2/apache2/conf.d/20-mythweb.ini
> sudo a2enmod php7.2
> sudo systemctl restart apache2
>
> I think that after that I could uninstall the PHP 7.0 packages, but I
> have not tried that yet.

Is this why mythweb is not working for me???

> 12) anacron seems to be running the daily cron jobs at a different
> time - about an hour earlier than it used to.  I have changed the
> /etc/crontab settings back to the old times, but I will have to wait
> until tomorrow to see if that fixes it.  The old times were normally a
> time when I do not have any recordings happening, or only one
> recording.  Having the cron jobs run earlier was a problem as the
> system could be too busy at the time and have recordings fail due to
> the huge overheads on the database when it is checked and backed up by
> anacron.

This I will have to play with

Jim A