[mythtv-users] what in the world is going on with database password??

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:15:08 UTC 2018

Jim Abernathy
jfabernathy at gmail.com

> On Nov 2, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2 Nov 2018 08:02:29 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>> The mythtv user is often set up as a minimal configuration - no
>>> password.  So adding a password to it can help with login problems:
>>>
>>> sudo passwd mythtv
>>>
>>> Then you can login using the mythtv user directly.
>>
>> I think I want to do this. Besides giving mythtv a password, how do I
>> make it a full user with bash shell like $USER?
>>
>> Does this do it?
>>
>> "sudo chsh -s /bin/bash mythtv"
>
> Yes.  You may also need to have a look at the /home/mythtv directory
> and see if it has the usual files to help bash work properly.  In my
> /home/stephen, there are .bashrc and .bash_logout files, and I think
> you will need to copy them to /home/mythtv and change their ownership
> to get bash to work normally.  Without them, I think the environment
> variables will not be set up properly.

All I had to do was sudo passwd mythtv, then sudo chsh -s /bin/bash mythtv

It created a lot of invisible files in /home/mythtv and the desktop works as expected also terminal sessions are bash and work as expected. $HOME is /home/mythtv and $USER is mythtv

I didn’t have to copy any other files from my normal user.

Jim A