[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup gksu not found

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 11:55:46 UTC 2018

On 11/1/18 9:56 AM, Mike Bibbings wrote:
> On 01/11/2018 11:45, Jim Abernathy wrote:

>> Thanks.
>>
>> I've seen called out that mythtv-setup can't add user $USER to the
>> 'mythtv' group.  I'm guessing this is because gksu isn't in 18.04.
>>
>> So the debate in my mind is to I add gksu to 18.04 myself or just
>> adduser $USER to mythtv. I wonder what else mythtv uses gksu for.
>>
>> I know I don't use gksu, and most likely will not now that it's gone
>> "officially".
>>
>> Jim A
>

> I do not recommend trying to add gksu back in.
>
> This how I handle the situation on  *Ubuntu 16.04,16.10,18.04,18.10 etc.
>
> After installing mythtv, run "sudo adduser $USER mythtv" and then
> either logout or reboot for it to take effect.
>
> Always use terminal session to stop mythtv-backend  "sudo systemctl
> stop mythtv-backend" before using mythtv-setup
>
> Always use terminal session for  mythtv-setup, do not allow
> mythfilldatabase or start mythbackend when exiting mythtv-setup.
>
> Always use terminal session to start mythtv-backend "sudo systemctl
> start mythtv-backend"
>
> I use ssh -X ... when connecting to mythtv-backend machine from
> another *Ubuntu system.
>
> If you need to run mythfilldatabase  manually, there are two ways :
>
> Tip you can give user mythtv a bash shell to make life easier in a
> terminal session "sudo chsh -s /bin/bash mythtv"
>
> 1. open a terminal session "sudo su mythtv" then mythfilldatabase,
> exit from session when finished back to the original user.
>
> 2. Just run "sudo -u mythtv mythfilldatabase"
>

> Mike

Thanks for the tips.  I'm coming around to doing things exactly as you
suggest. Not restarting the backend or filling the database within
mythtv-setup will be my standard and mythfilldatabase will always be run
as 'mythtv'.  I think this is particularly important if you do XMLTV
json SchedulesDirect.

Jim A