[mythtv-users] unexpected behaviour

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Nov 2 02:23:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 11:11:23 -0400, you wrote:

>Greetings mythizens, I got 0-byte recordings for three shows airing between
>10 &11 pm last night.
>This was co-incident with me switching over to Kodi, and starting my VPN,
>and streaming a show I had missed, I can wrap my head around losing the
>hdhr (network tuner) recording but the other two were on internal tuner
>cards. Is this normal behaviour?
>
>Does any one else using Myth and Kodi on the same box have suggestions?
>
>TIA  Daryl

MythTV uses tuners in order, and does not ever try another tuner when
one fails.  So if the first tuner is a network one and you have
somehow screwed up the network access to the tuner, then that could
explain what happened.  When you say the other two recordings were on
internal tuner cards, how are you working out what card was used for
the recordings?  Were the recordings from a different source that
needed to use the internal cards?  When you get a failed recording,
you can find the tuner it attempted to use in the logs, or you can go
to the recording and use the I command twice (and then scroll down if
necessary) to see the tuner.

How do you use a VPN?  If it is run from the MythTV box then it is
likely that setting up the VPN connection will have changed the
routing on the MythTV box in a way that prevented access to the HDHR
tuner.  The standard way the VPNs work is to divert all traffic
outside the box to the VPN connection.  Often you can set them up so
that local traffic on your network will not go via the VPN, but you
will have to do extra configuration to do that.

Another consideration is if you have storage group locations that are
stored over network connections to other boxes on your network. MythTV
has problems with network locations not being accessible.  If
activating your VPN caused network storage groups to be inaccessible,
but mythbackend kept trying to access them, that causes mythbackend to
run extremely slowly due to it continually locking up in a bit of code
that is trying the network connection and then failing. Each time the
connection fails, it can move on and do a little more work, but as
soon as it tries the connection again, it locks up again.  Only part
of mythbackend is affected, but that includes the threads that do
recordings, so all recordings fail.  As mythbackend tries to access
all storage groups in that code, it does not matter if the networked
storage group is only used for videos or pictures - it will still
cause access to the recording storage groups to fail.