[mythtv-users] Semi-OT anyone recording New York OTA, and NBC 4.1

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue May 29 23:13:01 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:44 PM, Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:
> ... Totally sucks.

Old story (slightly modified for a public list):
"you can't fit 10 pounds of crap in a 5-pound bag"

NBCU is are sharing multiple "channels" on one
frequency.  Bitrate had to be compromised.  It is
possible ATSC 3.0 will allow some of the quality
to return, but the FCC requirement to maintain
ATSC 1.0 means that there are just various
compromises that will have to be maintained.

NBCU received (many many) millions to shutdown
one of their broadcast channels in NYC in order to
let the mobile operators expand their capacity.
So did a couple of other broadcasters.  This
story is being repeated across the country in
some large metropolitan markets, even if due
to the FCC schedules, it may not have hit others
yet.

Arguably, NBCU did the right thing long term.
Broadcast linear TV is dead, we just don't have
the formal pronounce of time of death yet(*).

(*) I am personally unhappy that WNBC, one
of the broadcasters that was there in the
very beginning (1928 for the experimental
broadcasts) is gone, but such is progress.