[mythtv-users] Firewire disconnects

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon May 28 14:17:35 UTC 2018

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 12:36 AM DaveD <mythtv at guiplot.com> wrote:

> Since Comcast encrypted everything, I am forced to record over firewire
> from their cable boxes (we have two).  Luckily, they still allow it on
> non-premium channels.

Back when I was trying to do this, I always found it flaky and unreliable,
although it looked great when it worked. It depends a lot on what kind of
box you have and what kind of firewire chip it has.

This doesn't address your problem directly, but I thought I'd point out
that another option to get around Comcast encryption is to use a
cablecard-based tuner, such as an HD Homerun Prime. This is what I ended up
doing when Comcast stopped supplying boxes with component outputs, rendring
my HD-PVR tuners useless. It has been very solid and reliable, and it also
allows recording any channel except the premiums.

--Greg