[mythtv-users] ugraded to 0.29, cannot connect to backend

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Fri May 25 23:38:31 UTC 2018

On 05/25/2018 05:47 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2018 at 3:51 PM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I'd try these for the record:
>>
>>       SELECT * FROM settings WHERE value IN ('MasterServerName',
>> 'MasterServerIP', 'BackendServerIP', 'BackendServerIP6');
>>
>>       grep -i <whateverMasterServerNameIsReturned> /etc/hosts (or any other
>> place where names are resolved)
>>

> This is what I see:
>

> +------------------+--------------+----------------------------+
>>
>> | value            | data         | hostname                   |
>>
>> +------------------+--------------+----------------------------+
>> | BackendServerIP  | 192.168.1.33 | mongoliad.gregandeva.net   |
>> | BackendServerIP6 | ::1          | mongoliad                  |
>>
>> | BackendServerIP6 | ::1          | mongoliad.gregandeva.net   |
>> | MasterServerIP   | 192.168.1.33 | NULL                       |
>>
>> +------------------+--------------+----------------------------+

Need to know what hostname is used by the backend.

Look at these two log lines:

    ...Empty LocalHostName <may not print if not empty>
    ...Using localhost value of <probably mongoliad.gregandeva.net)

The 1st tells you if LocalHostName in config.xml is either empty,
missing or = my-unique-identifier-goes-here.

The 2nd line says what will actually be used as the profile id, as in
your settings hostname column.

> 192.168.1.33 mongoliad.gregandeva.net is the actual backend machine. The
> other entries in there are for current or former frontend systems. I
> obviously can't grep for "NULL". I tried changing this line so that the
> MasterServerIP hostname is set to "mongoliad.gregandeva.net", but no joy;
> it is still starting as a slave backend.

If you change a setting outside of mythtv-setup, then you must run
mythutil --clearcache. And, there are confirmed reports that the
BE doesn't always get shutdown/started when mythtv-setup is run.

(In my case, the MasterServerName data is the true hostname of my backend box
  but that's defined in /etc/hosts.)

If you look in the BE log, you'll see a line containing:

    ...Using configuration directory = /home/mythtv/.mythtv

and that will guarantee which config.xml is in use (follow symlinks if
applicable.)  Don't know what form of init is in play here, but scripts,
Upstart, systemd can set MYTHCONFDIR too. Just something to watch for.

> I looked in /etc/hosts and the only uncommented entry there is  "127.0.0.1
>   localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4"
>

>> Did you run mythtv-setup as mentioned at the end of the thread:
>>
>>       http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2018-May/396286.html
>

> OK, that one is my bad. It looks like Gmail doesn't include the last
> message in the conversation (because it has a modified subject?), so I
> didn't see that one.
>
> In that message, it is suggested to run mythtv-setup as the mythtv user,
> which is what I always do anyway. I have been burned by this one before.
> When I do this, I see that the "this server is master backend" button is
> checked, and the host name is set to "mongoliad.gregandeva.net".
>
> I executed the SQL command "insert into settings (value, data, hostname)
> values('IPv6Support', 0, NULL):",
> but that didn't change anything either. It still starts as  a slave backend
> and then complains about the protocol mismatch:

clearcache as above

> 2018-05-25 16:22:39.872138 C [15160/15238] ProcessRequest
> mainserver.cpp:1614 (HandleVersion) - MainServer: MainServer::HandleVersion
> - Client speaks protocol version 88 but we speak 91!

Wondering if this is a red herring. Could be something like a Kodi
host.

--
Bill