[mythtv-users] HDPVR - no longer recording!

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Tue May 15 04:27:32 UTC 2018

On 05/12/2018 01:04 AM, Dave Pearson (Lists) wrote:
> So, owing to the fact that they're getting a bit old and more difficult
> to find, I bought another HD-PVR from E-Bay.
>

> After it arrived I decided that I should test it, so I swapped all of
> the cables from my working HD-PVR and put them inm the new one. I had to
> reconfigure mythtv to use /dev/video0 (as I'd been using udev to name
> the original device a /dev/HDPVR) but, unfortunately I wasn't able to
> record anything.
>

> I then swapped the original HDPVR back and now I find that that one
> won't work either.
>

> I could really do with some troubelshooting assistance, as I've tried
> everything I can thinkl of (cat /dev/video0 > test.ts results in an
> empty file)

Dave - I recently purchased one from eBay as well. Start by looking in
your system  logs, something similar to:

[    2.965688] hdpvr 4-1.5:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7 2012
08:25:15
[    4.170912] hdpvr 4-1.5:1.0: device now attached to video3
[    4.170947] usbcore: registered new interface driver hdpvr

This will give you the correct device. Next, you'll need to make sure
you (or the mythbackend) has permission to read from the device.
Finally, you may want to create some udev rules to you can have a
predictable device name. Try this page if you need more information:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

I also recommend making sure your HD-PVR has the "latest" firmware.