[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Mythbackend issue

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun May 13 16:54:06 UTC 2018

On Sun, 13 May 2018 10:47:45 -0500, you wrote:

>I see "can't write to" issue and some "AutoExpire: CalcParams(): Max
>required Free Space: 1.0 GB w/freq: 15 min" thing which when I search seems
>to be some TV Tuner issue

You can ignore the "Autoexpire:" messages - they are normal.  It just
means that mythbackend has looked at all the storage groups and
checked that they have enough free space.  If they do not, it will
choose some recordings to expire to create enough free space.  Always
make sure your storage groups have enough free space unless you want
old recordings to expire.  I leave a minimum of 20 Gibytes free at all
times.

The "can't write to" messages come about by mythbackend writing a zero
length file ".test" to each storage group directory on startup.  If it
fails to create the file, or fails to be able to delete it, it will
give the "can't write to" message and will not use that storage group
directory for writing until the next time it is started.

So, first, take a look and see if your storage group directories
contain .test files, and what their ownership and permissions look
like.  Then manually delete them if they are there.  If you have had a
permissions problem that has caused the .test files to be left behind
undeleted, then I think the test fails on creating new ones, hence the
need to manually delete them after you fix the permissions.

Then, try creating the .test files yourself as the user that
mythbackend runs as (mythtv).  Log in as root and do this:

su - mythtv -c touch "<storage group path>/.test"

And try deleting them again:

su - mythtv -c "rm <storage group path>/.test"

If either command does not work, then you need to fix the ownership
and permissions until it does work.