[mythtv-users] Unable to install MythTV on UbuntuMATE Linux 16.04

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun May 13 06:58:43 UTC 2018

On 13/05/2018, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> mentioned packages and instead conflicts with one of them.
>>
>> So to fix this issue, you'll need to fix your system first. Once you do
>> that, I'll second part of what George had said and suggest you should be
>> running the MythTV packages from the PPA.
>> --
>> -Thomas
>>

> I have just made sure that the mysql is updated, and, synaptic shows
> the installed version to be 5.7, but the Ubuntu Software Centre shows
> that 5.6 needs to be removed.
>
> Trying to use the apt-get install mythtv command returns
>
> "
> $ sudo apt-get install mythtv
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
>   fonts-droid-fallback fonts-texgyre libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
> libhtml-template-perl libmyth libmyth-python
>   libmythtv-perl libnet-upnp-perl libreadline5 libxml-simple-perl
> libxml-xpath-perl mariadb-client-10.0
>   mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-common mariadb-server-10.0
> mariadb-server-core-10.0 mythtv-backend
>   mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend
> mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-future
>   python-imdbpy python-mysqldb python-pycurl python-requests-cache
> python-urlgrabber tex-common ttf-dejavu
>   ttf-dejavu-extra wmctrl
> Suggested packages:
>   libmldbm-perl libnet-daemon-perl libsql-statement-perl
> libipc-sharedcache-perl mariadb-test tinyca mythtv-doc
>   mythweb mythmusic mythweather mythgallery mythgame mytharchive
> python-future-doc python-sqlobject
>   python-sqlalchemy mysql-server python-egenix-mxdatetime
> python-mysqldb-dbg libcurl4-gnutls-dev
>   python-pycurl-dbg python-pycurl-doc python-requests-cache-doc
> python-pymongo python-redis debhelper
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   mysql-client mysql-client-5.7 mysql-client-core-5.7 mysql-server-core-5.6
>   fonts-droid-fallback fonts-texgyre libdbd-mysql-perl libdbi-perl
> libhtml-template-perl libmyth libmyth-python
>   libmythtv-perl libnet-upnp-perl libreadline5 libxml-simple-perl
> libxml-xpath-perl mariadb-client-10.0
>   mariadb-client-core-10.0 mariadb-common mariadb-server-10.0
> mariadb-server-core-10.0 mythtv mythtv-backend
>   mythtv-common mythtv-database mythtv-dbg mythtv-frontend
> mythtv-transcode-utils pwgen python-future
>   python-imdbpy python-mysqldb python-pycurl python-requests-cache
> python-urlgrabber tex-common ttf-dejavu
>   ttf-dejavu-extra wmctrl
> 0 to upgrade, 35 to newly install, 4 to remove and 8 not to upgrade.
> Need to get 206 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 334 MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> "
>
> So it seems that, once again, mysql and mythtv are mutually exclusive;
> if mysql is installed, mythtv will not install.
>
> It seems too dificult to install and use mythtv.

One extra thing that gets me, about this, is that, apparently, mariadb
will not install and run on a system, that has mysql installed.

If I can have postgresql and mysql concurrently installed, why can
mariadb not also be concurrently installed with mysql?

It sounds like a proprietary software restriction imposed by mariadb.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale