[mythtv-users] tv tuner card for mythtv indian users

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat May 12 11:14:10 UTC 2018

On Sat, 12 May 2018 12:08:46 +0530, you wrote:

>hi I’ve been using mythtv lately ,
>but I could not figure out which tv tuner card would work for indian tv
>channels, (tata sky) is our dth operator .
>I own a laptop as well as desktop ,
>so please suggest which tv tuner card should i buy from Amazon.in
>
>I also would like to suggest beets ( a github project for music metadata
>which uses a wide variety of sites to fetch metadata for music including
>lyrics too,currently we just have
>musicbrainz)
>
>regards
>kalim P

The broadcasts are coming from satellites, so you would want DVB-S2
tuners for that.  But since Tata Sky is a pay TV service, most
channels will be encrypted and you will not be able to record them
using MythTV directly.  If their decoder boxes have outputs you can
use, then you may be able to record by getting MythTV to use an IR
blaster to tell the decoder to change channels, and record from its
HDMI or component video output.  That is difficult to do, but there
are some people with MythTV setups like that.