[mythtv-users] Biting the bullet...new frontend recommendations

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue May 8 22:47:53 UTC 2018

On 05/08/2018 08:41 AM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> Thanks for all the suggestions! I've seen a lot mentioned here about
> the RPI and had never really looked into it at all. Interesting that
> it plays 1080 well. I see that they have only their own built in
> graphics of course. I'm assuming all the decoding and deinterlacing is
> done with the CPU? What deinterlacing do you use for 1080i?
Decoding and deinterlacing are done in the GPU. It supports advanced
deinterlacing in the GPU so in that regard it is better than most. As
far as subtitles are concerned, I believe it is only USA broadcast
subtitles that do not work. You can run a job after recording to extract
the subtitles to a file and then the raspberry pi can show them. This
does not work for LiveTV, obviously, because the subtitles will only be
available after completion of recording and running the job.

Peter