[mythtv-users] power management on combined and backend

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:48:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 May 2018 07:43:33 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I have an i7 920 and an MSI X58 motherboard, two drives, 1 TB (mostly OS
> >and some /storage) and one 2 TB (/storage2), and a GTX 780.  I also have a
> >HD-PVR.
> >
> >I am trying to get my power consumption down on my combined backend and
> >frontend.  I have set power settings in bios and the nvidia control panel
> >to use on demand. In powertop, I can see that the cpus ghz is lower on all
> >cores.   In powertop, I noticed nvidia was at 100% so I set
> /*sys*/bus/*pci*
> >/*devices*/(insert pci address of nvidia here) to auto from on.  When I
> >restarted powertop, nvidia was no longer showing "bad".   Under device
> >stats, pci and usb show 100%.  I believe these also need to be set via
> >/sys/bus/pci/devices?
> >
> >I'm not sure what if anything I should change on the hard drives.
> >
> >Initially I had 100 watts at the wall, with no playback or recording.
> When
> >I am watching tv it goes to about 150 watts. I have not tested since
> >changing the nvidia /sys/bus/pci/devices.
> >
> > I was curious what others do with power management?
>
> The best way to get lower power use is to use the most modern
> hardware.  Every time I have updated my PC, even though the new
> hardware is faster and bigger, the power consumption goes down.  My
> old Athlon Windows box used to use 220 W or so when in use, then the
> Core2 Duo with 4 Gibytes of RAM used around 180 W, and the latest
> version with AMD FX-8350 8 core 4 GHz processor and 16 Gibytes of RAM
> uses only around 140 W.

​I have to agree here.  About a year ago I read an article about how the
new CPUs (intel) were going to get so much better power savings that it was
going to be a huge step.  I had forgotten about that of course, sice I
dismiss most of those articles until I see it in the real world.  I just
got a ​new laptop with Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, and with
the screen off, but the laptop still running, I get close to 18 hours of
battery life.  With the screen on, up to 12 (depending on brightness,
etc).   First time in my life (been running Linux on my laptops since the
1990s (yes, I am getting old)) that I have gotten more than 5 hours on
*any* laptop's battery.   Android has caused a lot of good changes in the
kernel in this area as well, so Stephen is absolutely right - the latest
hardware definitely helps here.