[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Quatro: any bandwidth issues?

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:14:59 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018, 6:27 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2018 23:56:42 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 10:32 PM, Marco Nelissen <marco.nelissen at gmail.com
> >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> The HDHomeRun Quatro has 4 ATSC tuners, but only a 100Mbit network port.
> >> In theory that should be enough, but is it, in practice? Anyone ever run
> >> into any network bandwidth issues with the Quatro? Would I be better off
> >> getting two dual-tuner models, to spread the load? (the tuner(s) would
> be
> >> connected to a gigabit switch, and the rest of my network is all
> gigabit)
> >>

> >> ?Don't see why it would be an issue..  21Mb/s is max on ATSC 1080i..
> >That's 84 total.
> >
> >-Greg?
>
> If multrec is supported with HDHRs, then 100 Mbit/s will not be
> adequate.  Worst case with multirec you can be downloading all the
> channels from each multiplex, all at the same time.  I am not sure
> what the full bandwidth of an ATSC multiplex is, but more than two of
> them at once will certainly be more than 100 Mbit/s.  I can see why
> the original HDHRs were 100 Mbit/s, but I find it incredibly stupid
> for them to still be making new ones that are only 100 Mbit/s.  And
> quite insane when they have four tuners.

Stephen,

Your multirec math is off. As Greg pointed out, each frequency is about
21Mb/s for a total of 84. If a frequency is a cake, each channel on that
cake is a slice of that 21.

For example, two stations in Buffalo (each with a single SD subchannel)
have just started sharing a frequency due to the UHF repack. Because the
same cake is now divided into two HD and two SD slices, recordings on the
HD channels are now half the size they used to be.

And now I want cake.