[mythtv-users] No live tv and not recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 16 13:02:19 UTC 2018

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:40:53 +0100, you wrote:

>Le vendredi 16 mars 2018, 23:04:13 CET Stephen Worthington a écrit :
>
>> >My antenna has 2 LNBs, only one is used currently. A cable is connected to
>> >the second LNB, but it's unused.
>>
>> When I said "sources" above, I was actually referring to the two
>> entries in the "videosource" table in the database.  One "source"
>> (sourceid=1) is set up to use the DVB-S2 tuners, and gets EPG via EIT.
>> This source looks to be correctly set up.  The second "source"
>> (sourceid=2) is not set up correctly and does not have any tuners
>> attached to it.  It gets its EPG data by having mythfilldatabase run
>> its XMLTV script.  Since source 2 is not configured correctly, I think
>> it should be deleted for now - it is just confusing things for us. You
>> can do that by running mythtv-setup, going to that source, and using
>> the D key to delete it.
>
>I have only one video source in "Video Sourec Setup". It's name is "Deutsch"
>(= German). So I don't understand what to delete.
>

>> I have been presuming that your DVB-S2 card has two tuners, but only
>> one input that is shared by both tuners.  Is that correct?  If so,
>> then internally it may well have a splitter.  If it does have two
>> inputs, then you either need to connect one tuner to each LNB, or use
>> a splitter to connect both tuners to the same LNB.  Otherwise only the
>> tuner connected to the LNB will work.  There are some very recent DVB
>> chipsets that allow the use of one aerial input with as many tuners as
>> you like, without any on-card splitter.  My TBS 6909 8-tuner card does
>> that.  But all the cards with four or fewer tuners that I have seen do
>> not seem to use chips like that yet, so I would expect your card to be
>> doing it the old way.
>
>I have the following tuner:
>http://sundtek.com/shop/By-Brand/Manufacturer/Sundtek-Devices/Sundtek-SkyTV-Ultimate-6-DVB-S/S2.html.
>It has only one input. My antenna has 2 LNBS, but I don't use the second one.
>So one LNB is connected to the above tuner by cable. There is a cable on the
>second LNB, but ther is no tuner connected. Ok ?

>> >I don't have the option "select a tuner", must be new in v29.
>>
>> By that I just meant for you to go to one of the tuners on the list
>> and hit the Enter key to select it.
>
>I have only one tuner in "Input Connections", it's name is "DVB /dev/dvb/
>adapter0/frontend0"

This may be the problem - your database has two tuners.  I completely
missed that both of them are pointing to /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0!
That is completely invalid, and I do not know how MythTV allowed that
to happen.  As well, if mythtv-setup is only showing one video source,
and the database has two, then it must be rather screwed up.
Fortunately mythtv-setup has a option for this situation - delete all
the video sources, tuners, channels and so on and start again from the
beginning.  There is a special menu option that should do that.  Go to
the Video sources menu and use the (Delete all video sources) option.
When you use that it triggers the use of special code that cleans up
the entire tuner database allowing you to start again from the
beginning with those parts of the database completely empty.  So any
invalid data that is not currently appearing in the mythtv-setup
options (and consequently can not be deleted) *will* be deleted by
that command.

When you configure things again, just set up one video source with EIT
on, and one tuner and one input connection for that tuner.  Set the
Max recordings for the input connection to 3.  Then scan for channels.

>It's night in New Zeeland now, you work in the night ?
>Here in France it's 11:40 h.

Yes, I am a night owl.  I am often up very late - but sleep in during
the morning.  New Zealand is UTC+13 at present - daylight saving of 1
hour finishes on 1st April, after which we are back to UTC+12.