[mythtv-users] No live tv and not recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 16 10:04:13 UTC 2018

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:58:03 +0100, you wrote:

>From scanning with mythtv-setup and mythfilldatabase

>That's what I did.

>> You have two sources, one using EIT for the EPG and one using an XMLTV
>> grabber.
>
>My antenna has 2 LNBs, only one is used currently. A cable is connected to the
>second LNB, but it's unused.

When I said "sources" above, I was actually referring to the two
entries in the "videosource" table in the database.  One "source"
(sourceid=1) is set up to use the DVB-S2 tuners, and gets EPG via EIT.
This source looks to be correctly set up.  The second "source"
(sourceid=2) is not set up correctly and does not have any tuners
attached to it.  It gets its EPG data by having mythfilldatabase run
its XMLTV script.  Since source 2 is not configured correctly, I think
it should be deleted for now - it is just confusing things for us. You
can do that by running mythtv-setup, going to that source, and using
the D key to delete it.

I have been presuming that your DVB-S2 card has two tuners, but only
one input that is shared by both tuners.  Is that correct?  If so,
then internally it may well have a splitter.  If it does have two
inputs, then you either need to connect one tuner to each LNB, or use
a splitter to connect both tuners to the same LNB.  Otherwise only the
tuner connected to the LNB will work.  There are some very recent DVB
chipsets that allow the use of one aerial input with as many tuners as
you like, without any on-card splitter.  My TBS 6909 8-tuner card does
that.  But all the cards with four or fewer tuners that I have seen do
not seem to use chips like that yet, so I would expect your card to be
doing it the old way.

>> You have two physical tuners, but no multirec virtual tuners.  So each
>> tuner will be able to only record from one channel at once.  It would
>> be a good idea to adjust the multirec setting.  In mythtv-setup, go to
>> Input Connections > select a tuner ...
>
>I don't have the option "select a tuner", must be new in v29.

By that I just meant for you to go to one of the tuners on the list
and hit the Enter key to select it.

[snip]

> [...]
>|         |          |               |      96 |     12620 |           0 |
>|  29007 | 28007   |        1 | 3sat                 | 3sat
>|         |          |               |      82 |     28007 |           0 |
>|  12150 | 11150   |        1 | 3sat HD              | 3sat HD
>|         |          |               |      51 |     11150 |           0 |
>|  14112 | 13112   |        1 | 4News                | 4News
>|         |          |               |      97 |     13112 |           0 |
>|   5600 | 4600    |        1 | a.tv                 | a.tv
>|         |          |               |      57 |      4600 |           0 |
>|   6800 | 5800    |        1 | a.tv HD              | a.tv HD
>|         |          |               |      59 |      5800 |           0 |
>|  13628 | 12628   |        1 | Achtung Sexy TV      | Achtung Sexy TV
>|         |          |               |      96 |     12628 |           0 |
>|   8009 | 7009    |        1 | Al Jazeera Channel   | Al Jazeera Channel
>|         |          |               |      56 |      7009 |           0 |
>|   5440 | 4440    |        1 | Al Jazeera English   | Al Jazeera English
>|         |          |               |      63 |      4440 |           0 |
>|   6031 | 5031    |        1 | Al Jazeera English H | Al Jazeera English HD
>|         |          |               |      29 |      5031 |           0 |
>|  11082 | 10082   |        1 | Algerie 3            | Algerie 3
>|         |          |               |      61 |     10082 |           0 |
>|  31128 | 30128   |        1 | ALQUILER             | ALQUILER
>|         |          |               |      76 |     30128 |           0 |
>|  31130 | 30130   |        1 | ALQUILER             | ALQUILER
>|         |          |               |      76 |     30130 |           0 |
>|  13643 | 12643   |        1 | ALT Sendersuchlauf s | ALT Sendersuchlauf
>starten!! |         |          |               |      96 |     12643 |
>0 |
>|  22100 | 21100   |        1 | ANIXE HD             | ANIXE HD
>|         |          |               |      73 |     21100 |           0 |
>|   1764 | 764     |        1 | ANIXE SD             | ANIXE SD
>|         |          |               |     102 |       764 |           0 |
>|  31205 | 30205   |        1 | ARAGON TV            | ARAGON TV
>|         |          |               |      65 |     30205 |           0 |
>|  29487 | 28487   |        1 | ARD-alpha            | ARD-alpha
>|         |          |               |      89 |     28487 |           0 |
>|  29221 | 28221   |        1 | ARD-TEST-1           | ARD-TEST-1
>|         |          |               |      79 |     28221 |           0 |
>+--------+---------+----------+----------------------
>+------------------------------+---------+----------+---------------+---------
>+-----------+-------------+
>40 rows in set (0.00 sec)
>
>I dropped the first lines bacause there is still only "UNKNOWN".

That query should not have produced lines with "UNKNOWN" - but it is
always difficult to be sure without the data to test on.

>> select
>> chanid,channum,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,tvformat,outputfilters,mplexid
>> ,serviceid,recpriority from channel where name not like 'UNKNOWN%' and
>> sourceid=2 order by name limit 20;
>
>MariaDB [mythconverg]> select
>chanid,channum,sourceid,callsign,name,xmltvid,tvformat,outputfilters,mplexid,serviceid,recpriority
>from channel where name not like 'UNKNOWN%' and sourceid=2 order by name limit
>20;
>Empty set (0.00 sec)

This is good - it rules out one possible problem where there were
channels created by the XLMTV grabber run by mythfilldatabase.  Such
channels would not be attached to any tuner, and that would have been
a reason for mythbackend complaining it was misconfigured.  As it is,
having a source with no tuners or channels connected to it is likely
the cause of mythbackend complaining about misconfiguration.

>> The UNKNOWN channels are probably not real channels that you can
>> receive from - they may be things like channels that are used to send
>> updates to set top boxes, or other service channels.  So that query
>> only really showed one real channel, 1-2-3.tv.  There is no xmltvid,
>> as expected, as the channel is on sourceid 1 which gets its EPG data
>> via EIT.  It looks like it is a real channel, so I would suggest
>> trying to play live TV from it, by going to the Program Guide, finding
>> that channel, and using the M (menu) option then selecting "Watch This
>> Channel".
>
>Does not work. I did not find 1-2-3.tv, but I use another real channel I know.
>
>> The other settings for source 1 all look OK, so in theory
>> it should play.  But it would be a good idea to be running mythbackend
>> with the "--loglevel debug -v record" options when you try it.
>

>> And
>> also to have the other software that is running rtspd and may be using
>> the tuners shut down before starting mythbackend.
>
>Done: "# pkill rtspd"

That is likely not sufficient to stop the other software using the
tuners.  From its name, the rtspd program is likely just a network
daemon, and is likely talking to other software that is part of the
same package that will be using the tuners.  So you will need to shut
down the entire package.

>You find the rest at https://pastebin.com/ZM7ne9fk.
>
>Hope my answer is correct, not easy to avoid confusion witj all these commands
>and so longs outputs
>
>Bye
>
>Klaus

I am still looking at the mythbackend log you posted - I have never
done a log of DVB-S2 with --loglevel debug, so I am working my way
through the detail to see what I can find.  I may have to put my TBS
9522 on my laptop to get it on the spare LNB on my dish so I can get
debug output of a working recording to compare to.  My main MythTV box
using the TBS 6909 card uses minisatip to run the DVB-S2 tuners, so I
can not get debug from there, and my test PC is without a cable to the
dish at the moment.