[mythtv-users] No live tv and not recording

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Mar 14 01:52:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 17:57:40 +0100, you wrote:

>Le mercredi 14 mars 2018, 05:05:28 CET Stephen Worthington a écrit :
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:52:45 +0100, you wrote:
>> >Receiving german tv by the web is only allowed and possible in Germany.
>> >It's only possible in other countries in using a VPN and I have no VPN.
>> >
>> >So be sure vlc does not receive tv by the web.
>> >
>> >I use a playlist you can dowload at localhost:22000, it contains entries
>> >like
>> >
>> >#EXTINF:-1 tvg-logo="http://sundtek.de/picons/?g=3sat",3sat
>> >#EXTVLCOPT:network-caching=1000
>> >http://localhost:22000/stream/3sat
>> >
>> >#EXTINF:-1 tvg-logo="http://sundtek.de/picons/?g=ARD%2Dalpha",ARD-alpha
>> >#EXTVLCOPT:network-caching=1000
>> >http://localhost:22000/stream/ARD%2Dalpha
>> >
>> >So vlc cannot help me. Even when I use "Media -Open capture device" and tv
>> >works, the LNB fields in advanced options are empty.
>> >
>> >Klaus
>>
>> The localhost address is 127.0.0.1 - it is local to that PC and hence
>> must be being provided by something on that PC.  So you need to find
>> out what software is providing IPTV via localhost:22000, presumably by
>> using your DVB-S2 tuners.
>
>I do not use IPTV ??

Yes, you are.  You are running something that you are connecting to on
localhost:22000 that is providing IPTV, which is how VLC is working
for you.

>> This command should tell you:
>>
>> sudo netstat -pa | grep 22000
>
># netstat -pa | grep 22000
>tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22000    0.0.0.0:*         LISTEN      907/rtspd
>tcp        0      0 192.168.0.40:22000      192.168.0.3:49940       TIME_WAIT
>-

The LISTEN line above says that software named "rtspd" is listening on
port 22000 on all IP addresses on that PC.  So as well as being
available on that PC on localhost:22000, it will also be available on
the external IP address of that PC for anything else on your network
to connect to.

The TIME_WAIT line says that something on your network with IP address
192.168.0.3 has been connected to rtspd using the external address of
the box rtspd is running on (192.168.0.40).  That connection is not
currently active but has not yet timed out fully and disconnected.

>> Then you need to find the LNB settings that are being used by that
>> software.
>
>How to do that ?
>
>Klaus

I have never met rtspd before, but Googling it says that it is a proxy
daemon for the RTSP protocol.  One common use of a proxy of this sort
is to allow things on an internal network to connect to things outside
that network that they can not directly access - they connect to the
proxy and the proxy connects to whatever outside that network it is
set up to talk to.  The use of a proxy is often for security reasons -
it allows controlled access to something, rather than free access.
Another common use is for resource reasons - the proxy may be making
only one external connection, and allowing many internal connections
to share the data it is getting from the external connection.  There
are lots of other reasons for using a proxy.

The RTSP protocol is one of the protocols commonly used for IPTV.  So,
given the way you are using it with VLC (using HTTP connections to
rtspd on port 22000), a likely reason for it being there is to
translate between the RTSP protocol and HTTP protocol.  We will only
know when you find its configuration files and see what they say.

I have forgotten which Linux version you are using - please refresh my
memory.  I am using Ubuntu 16.04 and in its package manager I can not
find any reference to rtspd.  It is possible that rtspd is installed
as part of another package, rather than on its own, so we need to see
if we can find out where it is and where its config files are.  Please
run the following commands and see what they say:

sudo which rtspd
sudo ps -ef | grep -i rtspd
sudo ls -ald /etc/rtsp*

If you have the mlocate package installed, it does daily scans of your
drives and stores a database of the locations of all the files.  So it
may be able to tell us where rtspd has its files, if you use this
command:

sudo locate rtsp

That may produce a big list of files, only a few of which are
relevant.  This will likely produce a much shorter list, but might
miss some relevant ones:

sudo locate rtspd