[mythtv-users] HD Home Run over WiFi

Martin Compton martinc at itrans.com
Mon Mar 5 19:37:12 UTC 2018

On 03/05/2018 01:10 PM, David Krainess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of trying a 2 tuner HDHomeRun over to a WiFi connected
> server.
>
> The setup would be this...
>
> HDHomeRun connect to Ethernet on a cable router
> MythTV server on WiFi
>
> I can get 20Mbs download speeds on the LAN, is that sufficient?  Does
> the HDHomeRun have a decent buffer to handle WiFi bumps?
>
> Any advice appreciated.
>
> Dave
I use an HDHomeRun Extend connected to a WiFi "N" router that links my
parents' house to my house (about 110mbs on the link w/ 9db antenna)
where the MythTV server is located on a LAN.  It works fine, but I
explicitly got the Extend version to make sure I could stream over a
WiFi "N" network, and still have enough left for my parents to watch at
least one stream simultaneously, which it seems to do easily.  When
using both tuners it can consume a peak of about 50mbs, average about 25.

The HomeRun Extend works well over the WiFi, except that its watchdog
has reset the device several times, and when that happens it requires a
restart of mythtv-backend to clear up the hanging recordings.