[mythtv-users] Mythical Poltergeists

Stephen P. Villano stephen.p.villano at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 10:51:53 UTC 2018

On 06/28/2018 12:29 AM, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I've been running mythtv for about 15 years now and I am quite
> comfortable with the way it works. But something happened last night
> which is just unbelieveable and I cannot think of any way that it
> happened but it did.
>
> Like lots of us, I have the myth box connected to a couple of HDHR's
> for OTA, and a separate cable box, for cable tv. The myth box outputs
> audio to an amplifier and speakers. The cable input outputs to the tv
> speakers.
>
> Last night I watched a FIFA match on the cable. My wife fell asleep
> before the end. I switched off the tv and went to bed. Earlier we had
> watched a recording on myth, through another input to the tv. The last
> thing I did in myth, was navigate to the Status page and check on the
> EPF listing status: 20 days!
>
> About a half hour later, my wife wandered in. She had been awakened by
> music *from the mythtv speakers*. I investigated and found that the
> mythbox had decided to exit the status page, navigate up and over to
> 'Music' and commence playing the last selected track ('Nimrod' by Elgar).
>
> How did this happen? How COULD this happen? Popltergeists are a myth,
> right?

Early CFL light bulbs caused spurious IR signals, which could trick IR
receivers in televisions, VCRs, cable boxes, etc. Something similar,
perhaps?
Or your router could have been breached and your local network probed.
That's been going on a fair bit of late.
Or someone hit buttons on the remote while either asleep or half awake.
Or as Gary mentioned, the cat. We had one cat that used to change the
channel by apparent intent, with a rather esoteric taste in television
programs.   ;)