[mythtv-users] Mythical Poltergeists

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jun 28 04:29:21 UTC 2018

I've been running mythtv for about 15 years now and I am quite
comfortable with the way it works. But something happened last night
which is just unbelieveable and I cannot think of any way that it
happened but it did.

Like lots of us, I have the myth box connected to a couple of HDHR's for
OTA, and a separate cable box, for cable tv. The myth box outputs audio
to an amplifier and speakers. The cable input outputs to the tv speakers.

Last night I watched a FIFA match on the cable. My wife fell asleep
before the end. I switched off the tv and went to bed. Earlier we had
watched a recording on myth, through another input to the tv. The last
thing I did in myth, was navigate to the Status page and check on the
EPF listing status: 20 days!

About a half hour later, my wife wandered in. She had been awakened by
music *from the mythtv speakers*. I investigated and found that the
mythbox had decided to exit the status page, navigate up and over to
'Music' and commence playing the last selected track ('Nimrod' by Elgar).

How did this happen? How COULD this happen? Popltergeists are a myth,
right?

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury