[mythtv-users] Any cord-cutters using MythTV?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 18 11:06:18 UTC 2018

On 06/17/2018 04:20 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Note, too, that the biggest issue after cutting the cable TV cord is getting
>> Internet service at a reasonable rate.  Often the Internet service cost is
>> significantly reduced for cable TV customers because of bundling, so many
>> people I've talked to who are thinking about cutting the cord find out that
>> after unbundling the Internet service (and, therefore, paying its full
>> price), the cost savings are significantly less than they expected.  I'm
>> mentioning this only to encourage you to get the full facts before making
>> decisions so that you don't suffer any disappointments or make matters worse
>> for yourself without seeing much or any benefit.
> We moved into this house in 1989 and it had no cable at all. At the
> time we didn't get it and used only an antenna. I only added cable
> later for Internet and have never had any pay TV. Later (2007) with
> digital OTA being available I built my MythTV systems. Your point
> about getting Internet only is definitely valid...which is why I
> detest the fact that Internet access is so closely coupled with pay TV
> in the US...don't get me started.
>
> However another consideration to keep in mind: While you tend to pay a
> premium for Internet only, my experience is that it doesn't tend to go
> up (at all in my case), where the "deals" you get on bundles tend to
> be very temporary. My final Internet bill (Optimum Online) comes to
> about $80 a month. However...not only has it not gone up, but for that
> price I started with a 100 Mbit service, which has since increased to
> 200, and now to 400 at the same price. So there's all that to keep in
> mind as well.

Definitely true. My friends and neighbors are all complaining about how
much their cable/Internet service bills have gone up
recently--especially after Charter bought Brighthouse--and how they're
being "forced" to switch to different, more-expensive plans when their
contracts expire.  Meanwhile, I still pay the $49.95 I've been paying
(for 10mbps, originally, having gone up to 15mbps, and now 25mbps) since
I got Internet service at this house in 2014.

> Now that I have a TV (an LG OLED) that supports it, we've been using
> VUDU for movies. I'm not nuts about the fact that they're owned by
> Walmart,

Though, on the bright side, they support UltraViolet, and because
they're Walmart, they're unlikely to go out of business (like several
other providers on which I "owned" movies).  Granted, so far, all that
have gone out of business have transferred my library to another, so
far, but I don't know that I'll trust that will always happen.

>   but the service is good, and was one of the few with no
> monthly cost (which is also the case for Fandango I believe?).

Yeah, I use Vudu and Fandango Now, too.  Buying only those shows I want
(/have time ;) to watch is so much more an efficient expenditure than
paying a monthly subscription fee for "one-time, on-their-schedule"
broadcast of tons of junk that I have to figure out how to record if I
want to watch later or with the ability to skip commercials.

Mike