[mythtv-users] Sony Android TV does not play AVC [h.264] recordings from MythTV UPNP - but from MiniDLNA

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 19:47:55 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 02:16:11PM -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> > ...  Anything that plays in MythTV should play in the android build.

> I'm not as optimistic.  The SOCs used in those TVs with built in
> Android TV support are notoriously weak have limited RAM and storage
> space.

I suspect that Peter was referencing those things that have
hardware (mediacodec) support on the platform (or are of
extremely low complexity), which will not be all content
(or even consistent across platforms).  The Shield TV has
notably more capability than some other SoCs, and given
enough time that capability is likely to be in all devices, so
the answer may be to wait a few generations of SoC.

Notably, (for the OP), there are reports on other forums
that at least *some* Sony Android TV variants do not
expose the TV's hardware decoding to the Android
frameworks (so the TV can do hardware decoding and
MCDI itself, but some Android Apps have to do at least
some of the processing in software, with decidedly
mixed (i.e. crappy) results).  I have no idea if later variants
of the Sony TVs or OS and/or subsystem have improved
the situation.

So, as is usually the case, YMWV.