[mythtv-users] Music Choice playback

Philip Long phil at n0op.com
Sat Jun 16 20:43:19 UTC 2018

First off ... thank you all _especially_ the developers who have been
giving this gift to the world for all these long years.  I just went
back and checked, and it seems my first recording is a Mr. Rogers'
Neighborhood from 2007, probably using MythDora.

After STFW I've come to understand that Music Choice encodes the video
in "curious" ways, but that mythtv has adapted to it, for example per
this Feb 2017 thread

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/606755?search_string=music%20choice;#606755

and this wiki site

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Music_Choice

I'm able to record the Music Choice channels just fine, and they play
great with VLC, mplayer and Kodi (including AC-3 passthrough), BUT, the
mythfrontend continues to hickup on buffering and then resets the audio
buffer leading to constant stutters (on different front ends, including
very beefy workstations).  The experience really renders the channels
unusable through mythfrontend.  I've updated my backend and frontend to
v29.1-22-g675676b and it still doesn't work, and I can't seem to find
any configuration changes that will make it work.

Is there something I can do to make it work?  My next stab at it would
be to try to create a playback group that called e.g. vlc rather than
the frontend player or to use Kodi when I wanted to listen to the
recordings.

Thank you!