[mythtv-users] Any cord-cutters using MythTV?

main at coorswill.neomailbox.ch main at coorswill.neomailbox.ch
Wed Jun 13 23:38:04 UTC 2018

On 06/12/2018 03:43 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I've been using MythTV to record cable content for years, but I'd
> really like to stop sending the provider a giant check every month.
>
> I know there is capability to record HTTP streams, but I'm wondering
> if it's feasible to use MythTV to record from any of streaming
> services like Hulu, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc.
>
> Steve

Hello,

I cut the cable years ago and I recommend checking out the web site:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/

In particular, there is good advice in:
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/the-2018-beginners-guide-to-cord-cutting/
Basically, you can try different services and strategies before actually
'cutting the cord'.

I live in Los Angeles and receive about 100 channels OTA recording as
needed with a couple of dual channel HDHomeruns.  I subscribe to Netflix
and Amazon Prime on a yearly basis.  I subscribe to Amazon Prime
Channels like HBO for a few months at a time for particular programs
like Game of Thrones or Westworld (note that this is an accepted
practice and not discouraged by Amazon).

There are lots of legal ways to get the TV programs I want to see,
MythTV is not a limitation.

Best wishes,

Kevin