[mythtv-users] Any cord-cutters using MythTV?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 13 12:46:10 UTC 2018

On 06/12/2018 11:44 PM, Mark Wedel wrote:
> On 06/12/2018 05:12 PM, jrh wrote:
>> On Jun 12, 2018, at 6:43 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>>> I've been using MythTV to record cable content for years, but I'd
>>> really like to stop sending the provider a giant check every month.
>>>
>>> I know there is capability to record HTTP streams, but I'm wondering
>>> if it's feasible to use MythTV to record from any of streaming
>>> services like Hulu, Sling, DirecTV Now, etc.
>>>

>> I cut cable 8 years ago, and have used an antenna since. Mythtv
>> doesn’t work well with the referenced sources due to DRM on them.
>> However, I have amazon prime and rarely use it as I have plenty from
>> antenna.
>> Regards
>
>  I'm in much the same case as Jrh.
>
>  I have slingtv, and they offer a cloud PVR service on most all
> channels for a fairly minor amount per month (I ended up getting it
> free as a beta tester). Even if it wasn't free, I'd probably pay for
> it based on convenience.

I cut the cord in 2006 and am using similar approach as Mark and Jrh. I
currently use MythTV to record OTA broadcasts--giving me far more
recordings than I have time to watch, so quite often I go through my
recordings and delete all episodes of and tell MythTV to stop recording
some series that I've decided isn't worth watching. I also have Roku
devices which I use with Amazon Prime streaming and a Sling TV
subscription. I didn't choose to add on the Sling DVR service (for
$5/mo) and use it only for real-time watching (primarily my wife's
watching ESPN) and for VOD.  However, for series that my wife and I
really enjoy, we will just buy the series so we don't have to watch the
forced commercials in Sling's VOD streams (such as with The Walking
Dead--though we're starting to wonder if it's still worthwhile to buy
that one since it's nothing like it was in the early seasons) or so that
we can watch it before it comes free to Amazon Prime (The
Expanse--though sounds like S4 may be released direct to Prime now that
SyFy canceled it (for being too Sci Fi, I presume) and Amazon is picking
it up).  We do have others that we started after a couple seasons had
been released that we just wait for on Prime--such as The Americans.

In all, with the occasional $20-$40 for a season of some TV series
purchase on a streaming service like Amazon Video or Vudu or Fandango
Now or whatever, and OTA content and the $20/mo Sling TV service, we
have more than we have time to watch--and even have some series we want
to watch available to watch at no additional cost and just can't find
the time to get to it.

Note, too, that the biggest issue after cutting the cable TV cord is
getting Internet service at a reasonable rate.  Often the Internet
service cost is significantly reduced for cable TV customers because of
bundling, so many people I've talked to who are thinking about cutting
the cord find out that after unbundling the Internet service (and,
therefore, paying its full price), the cost savings are significantly
less than they expected.  I'm mentioning this only to encourage you to
get the full facts before making decisions so that you don't suffer any
disappointments or make matters worse for yourself without seeing much
or any benefit.

Mike