[mythtv-users] Subtitle fonts

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 4 18:19:11 UTC 2018

On 06/04/2018 01:34 PM, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've set up a new frontend, and it doesn't display subtitles when I play
> videos (ripped DVDs). I suspect that this is because the required font
> is not installed.
>
> How do I find out which font(s) I should install?

DVD subtitles are done via images embedded in the DVD data, not via text
streams and fonts.  I don't think any DVD ripping software can create a
ripped DVD with any kind of useful (closed) subtitles--doing so would
require using an optical character recognition program to generate text
from the images that could be embedded in a normal (non-DVD-image)
subtitle stream.

Alternatively, you can rip the DVD with subtitles enabled such that you
have "open" (always-on) subtitles.  Doing so rips and encodes video of
the pictures with the subtitles already displayed--they become a part of
the images in the video.

The only useful way I know of to create file-based versions of DVD discs
and preserve closed (can be displayed or not) subtitle capabilities is
to simply copy the entire DVD ISO image to a file. In that case, your
subtitles would still be images and would rely on your DVD player
software playing the file as if it were a DVD disc.

Mike