[mythtv-users] Harmony Hub and MythTV

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Jul 31 22:37:06 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 04:03:29PM -0600, John P Poet wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 3:38 PM Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> >> I bought the same Plugable that you have.  I have it paired, but it is
> >> not obvious how to configure keys.  In the Harmony app, when I select
> >> "Customize Remote" for the activity, then select a key to configure on the
> >> remote, it only gives me a Up, Down, Left and Right as choices.  I assume I
> >> have it configure wrong.
> >>

> > When you set up your computer as a device, you need to tell Harmony that
> > it is a Windows computer rather than Other.  I beat my head against the
> > wall on this one for a while too.
> >
> > Even after doing this, the list of keys is not complete. For instance,
> > there is no way to map a button to CTRL-, (control-comma) which decreases
> > time stretch (I mapped the red button on my Streamzap remote to this, and
> > wanted to do the same with the Harmony Hub remote). It is on my list
> > tonight to mess around with changing mapping of keypresses to actions on
> > the Myth side to match key sequences that can be matched on the Harmony
> > side, which will require using the Key editor in Mythweb, and if I want to
> > avoid breaking use of the Streamzap, also in the ~mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc
> > file. Tedious and messy, but it looks like it could be done.
> >

> Thank you, Greg.  That was it.

Yes, that's what I had to do too.

> I will also have to fix some mythtv mappings, it looks like.
> Were you able to get the "transport" buttons to work?  Back, play, stop,
> etc?

I think most of them work.  Here's what I did (and again when
configuring an Nvidia Shield).  For each button on the remote, choose
the most obvious key mapping that Harmony offers.  For example use
Menu key for the menu button and Guide key for the guide button.
Then, using the Edit Keys screen in MythTV, make sure each key is
recognized by MythTV.  Usually they are, but not always.  For example,
on the Shield, the Red, Green, Blue and Yellow keys aren't recognized.
For the keys that aren't recognized, choose alternative keys that are
recognized.  For example use the g key instead of the Guide key for
the guide button (on the Shield, the Guide key is hard coded to launch
the Live Channels app), use the F1 key for Red button, etc.  Finally,
after you have all of the buttons recognized by MythTV, configure the
MythTV key bindings to make them do what you want them to do.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net