[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

David Engel david at istwok.net
Sat Jul 28 02:03:37 UTC 2018

Please note and respect that this reply is private.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 07:29:19PM -0400, Steve Greene wrote:
> David,
> Myself, I watch a lot of live TV, including 1080i content from CNN ("the
> crawl") and baseball (fast moving action). I have a NUC, and so far have
> been able to live with some tearing, but I recognize that software exists
> to leverage the built in advantages offered by VAAPI, but Myth is so far
> not designed to leverage that existing work, which is frustrating.
>
> My NUC is a few generations old, but supports 4K, so I ought to be somewhat
> future proofed!
>
> BTW, I'm serious about that bounty. I imagine quite a few fellow users
> might want to contribute to it as well.

I won't publicly volunteer Peter Bennett.  He's already gone above and
beyond recently on several other things.  However, he's your best bet.
As I already noted, the work he's done on MediaCodec support *should*
make replacing our VAAPI support a much easier task than it would
otherwise be.  He's also the only current, active developer with
experience in that area of the code.

FWIW, I also want to see the VAAPI support updated.  I'm about to
reclaim an old, Asus ChromBox from my mom after I configure the other
Nvidia Shield I bought for her.  I want to use the ChromeBox as a
spare/testing frontend.

David