[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

David Engel david at istwok.net
Fri Jul 27 16:13:30 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 11:49:30AM -0400, Steve Greene wrote:
> If there are any developers monitoring the discussion, I'd welcome some
> input behind the project management challenges involved in adding advanced
> interlacing support for Intel chips. If a few of us users could cough up
> some funds for a bounty, would that change the complexion of the problem?

Peter Bennett can certainly speak more definitively on this, but
here's my two cents.

Peter's recent work on adding MediaCodec support on Android using
ffmpeg should make the task of updating our VAAPI support much easier.
Currently, we use VAAPI directly.  We also previously had no support
for the decoder doing the deinterlacing (like I think VAAPI does for
it's advanced deinterlacing).  We now have that capability thanks to
Peter's MedicCodec work.  So, it should *only* be a matter of
replacing our direct VAAPI support with that provided by ffmpeg, like
we already do for software, VDPAU and MediaCodec.  Of course, the
devil will be in the details.

David