[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

Jeremy D Eiden theonlyrealperson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:19:29 UTC 2018

On 07/26/2018 12:45 PM, Ashu Desai wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM Jeremy D Eiden
> <theonlyrealperson at gmail.com <mailto:theonlyrealperson at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On 07/26/2018 10:46 AM, George Poulson wrote:
>>     On 26 July 2018 at 16:07, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com
>>     <mailto:ashu.desai at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Is there something that folks here have - i am open to buying
>>         bare metal and building one up myself...
>>

>>     If you're open to it as a solution the Raspberry Pi 3 makes a
>>     pretty darn good (and very cheap!) frontend.
>>
>>     You'll find various articles both on the mythtv wiki and elsewhere.
>>
>>     George
>>

>     I second this.  LibreElec on a RaspPi 3 B+ has nearly flawless
>     playback.  Some menus are great, but others (like Recordings) I
>     find a little clunky.  Not terrible, just clunky.
>
>     And it just worked. Install, enable Myth's plugin and configure
>     the plugin to point to the backend - and it was good to go.
>
>     The playback looks nicer than my NUC's, I think. But really, it's
>     hard to tell.
>

> Does this also play H.265 HEVC content?  Are there any "step by step
> installation" guide I can follow please?
>
> Thank you!

I'm unsure about H.265, I know Kodi does it, but I don't think I've
tried it.  I say "think" because I know I have some H.265 videos - I
just don't remember which ones they are, and I don't know if I've played
them on the Rpi. :)

My cable provider (Comcast, ugh) now uses .ts containers that use H.264,
and that works fine.

Installation is a breeze with their USB Creator:

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/installation