[mythtv-users] Recommendations needed for new FE box

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 18:03:32 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 11:47 AM Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 10:59 AM Jeremy D Eiden <
> theonlyrealperson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 07/26/2018 10:46 AM, George Poulson wrote:
>>
>> On 26 July 2018 at 16:07, Ashu Desai <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is there something that folks here have - i am open to buying bare metal
>>> and building one up myself...
>>>

>> If you're open to it as a solution the Raspberry Pi 3 makes a pretty darn
>> good (and very cheap!) frontend.
>>
>> You'll find various articles both on the mythtv wiki and elsewhere.
>>
>> George
>>

>> I second this.  LibreElec on a RaspPi 3 B+ has nearly flawless playback.
>> Some menus are great, but others (like Recordings) I find a little clunky.
>> Not terrible, just clunky.
>>
>> And it just worked. Install, enable Myth's plugin and configure the
>> plugin to point to the backend - and it was good to go.
>>
>> The playback looks nicer than my NUC's, I think. But really, it's hard to
>> tell.
>>

> Does this also play H.265 HEVC content?  Are there any "step by step
> installation" guide I can follow please?
>
> Thank you!

The next version of MythTV should have decent support for running
mythfrontend on an Android TV box.  There is active development happening
on the nVidia Shield, and it reportedly is usable in the current "master"
version of MythTV.

A Raspberry Pi is a bit more stable (at the moment), but the nVidia Shield
is going to be more powerful.  For example, if you use "timestretch" the
nVidia Shield provides a better experience.  On the other hand, captions
are still a work in progress on the Android TV.

I believe that H.265 playback "works" on the Shield, but it is not perfect,
yet.

I have a Shield and hope to get mythfrontend built and running on it in the
next couple of weeks.

John