[mythtv-users] MythTV on SUSE Leap 15.0

Gordon McCrae gordon.mccrae at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 09:07:58 UTC 2018

On 25/07/18 09:41, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 25/07/2018 02:34, Stephen Worthington wrote:

>>> Oh yes, I forgot that. I had to edit
>>> /usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service and put the correct values
>>> of user and group.
>>
>> If SUSE Leap 15.0 works like Ubuntu, then it is a bad idea to manually
>> change any files in /usr/lib/systemd/system/, as they will be
>> overwritten by the installation of a new version of the package that
>> installed them.  The correct way to override a systemd unit file is to
>> use the override system provided by systemd.  This involves creating a
>> directory in another location to contain override files for the unit.
>> In Ubuntu, these override directories are in /etc/systemd/system.  So
>> I have a directory /etc/systemd/system/mythtv-backend.service.d which
>> contains a file mythtv-backend-override.conf and my override settings
>> are in that file.  You can have as many *.conf files in the directory
>> as you like - they will be read and used in the order they are read to
>> override the base unit file settings.
>>
>> The easy way to create an override file is to use the command provided
>> by systemd:
>>
>> systemctl edit mythbackend.service
>>
>> That will create a valid override file and run your default editor on
>> it.  To change the user and group you would put something like this in
>> your override file:
>>
>> [System]
>> User=mythtv
>> Group=mythtv
>
> Thanks. That's really useful to know. I had a feeling that altering
> the main file was not ideal, although in this case, the main file
> looks to be broken. I suppose it may be correct but created with the
> intention that the package would also supply an override file.
>
> Cheers,
>     Paul.

I tried this, but get the following error when the service starts:

● mythbackend.service - MythTV backend service

Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mythbackend.service; enabled;
vendor preset: disabled)

Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service.d

└─override.conf

Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2018-07-25 09:49:43 BST;
14min ago

Main PID: 15317 (code=exited, status=216/GROUP) Jul 25 09:49:43
linux-ticd systemd[1]: Started MythTV backend service.

Jul 25 09:49:43 linux-ticd systemd[15317]: mythbackend.service: Failed
to determine group credentials: No such process

Jul 25 09:49:43 linux-ticd systemd[1]: mythbackend.service: Main process
exited, code=exited, status=216/GROUP

Jul 25 09:49:43 linux-ticd systemd[1]: mythbackend.service: Unit entered
failed state.

Jul 25 09:49:43 linux-ticd systemd[1]: mythbackend.service: Failed with
result 'exit-code'.

Jul 25 09:55:09 linux-ticd systemd[1]:
/etc/systemd/system/mythbackend.service.d/override.conf:1: Unknown
section 'System'. Ignoring.

Jul 25 09:58:06 linux-ticd systemd[1]: