[mythtv-users] remote ssh to run mythtv-setup ( ssh -X mythtv at server mythtv-setup ) hangs on exit

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 18:45:08 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jul 14, 2018 at 5:33 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Issue I've seen lately is it just hangs after changes are made on a headless
> mythtv install
>
> Get the dialog box that says: If you added or altered channels please run
> mythfilldatabase on the master backend to populate the database with guide
> information
>
> At that point I need to open another screen and kill the mythtv-setup
> process.  Thought it has something to do with systemd not enabled but
> appears to be something more
>
> NAME="Ubuntu"
> VERSION="16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
> mythtv-backend-master                2:0.28.2+fixes
>
> sudo systemctl stop mythtv-backend.service (works fine)
> Also edited /etc/sudoers
> mythtv ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL
>
> Input would be appreciated hate crashing all the time
> Brent Bolin

That's interesting, as I ran into almost identical hard lockups using
ssh -X -Y when trying to use programs that use imlib2, specifically
after upgrading to a version that had apparently added support for X11
shared memory file descriptors(??). See the details here:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/660828

The symptoms were identical, requiring a kill -9 on the process. My
guess is that someone forgot that X might not even be running on that
local system and is attempting to to something that can't possibly
work with X via ssh. I don't see any sign that MythTV uses imlib2 in
any way, though I can't be 100% sure. Possibly something else has a
similar mistake.

Tom